Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Where My Blog Name Came From

Let me just say upfront that I'm no evangelist. As much as I believe the Gospel, the Good News of Jesus, I'm not very good at sharing it. I'm theoretically on fire for the Lord; I love to think about Him and study His Word, and even teach those in my Sunday School class. But when it comes down to brass tacks, to sharing the gospel with the dying around me, I'm frankly terrible about it, even among those who I know both need it and might be open to it. It's something I desperately need to work on, but I'm quite honestly just not there yet. I'm uncomfortable with some of the methods that I've been taught; they seem formulaic and simplistic. But I haven't found a better way to do it, either.

Here's another problem: I have a natural inclination for sarcasm. That sometimes makes my sincerity suspect, even among those who know me best, even when I'm trying my best to be sincere. I know I have no one to blame but myself for that, though.

I said all of that to say this: I want people to come to Jesus, to get saved and have eternal life and feel the joy that comes from having relationship with God. I want people to know what it feels like to go from being God's enemy to being his friend. Even as I try to figure out how to be a better evangelist, I have a desire to see people coming to know God. That's why I named this blog "A Good Infection."

Anyone who's read much C.S. Lewis probably knows this phrase. He coined it in "Mere Christianity," to explain how the faith is spread from one person to another. It has proven to be quite infectious over the centuries, you know. So my journey right now is to try to figure out how to best spread it in a society that is all too often hostile to it. That will probably be one of the more prominent things I'll be discussing on this blog in coming days. Any ideas are appreciated.

No comments: